Initial Ideas: Logo


Speak Visually. Create a presentation with Visme


Yoli and I decided that last year's method of independently creating logos and then coming together and combining our ideas, worked really well, thus we decided to do the same this year. The following are my initial ideas:


For this design I used Canva. I thought the simple shapes (circles, rectangles), are memorable and effectively used in many logos. The microphone is a classic use of iconography, relating our logo immediately to music and thus telling everybody what industry we work in. The light colours are friendly and fit with our artist's happy vibe - the only thing I would say is the pink is very feminine and as a company, Robyn may not be our only artist. We may not appeal to men as much as femininity in males isn't seen as a good trait and may even be seen as a sign of weakness. Regardless, I think this is a strong contender and with perhaps a manipulation of colours, this could definitely be our potential logo.

As an effective logo is memorable, often for its simplicity, I tried to keep this as simple as possible. I used a line of colour behind the text to add personality to our company name - yellow, being a colour which doesn't connote to any particular gender, not only associates with our company name (Happy), but is inclusive for everybody (unlike the pink in the logo above). The colour alongside the "handwritten" font promotes a sense of youthfulness and summer, themes we hope to follow in our music video. A smiley face is added, a bass clef reversed, which again connotes to happiness and music (at a stretch), which is what our company is about.



Keeping in mind Yoli and I's desire for pastel colours being prominent in our video and ancillary texts, I created a logo that may work well with this colour scheme. However, I'm unhappy with how the squares sit and think the design is quite boring - it looks too childish to be a professional music company and instead looks like the logo for a daycare. It could be a case of altering the colours but I think the general shape and colour of this isn't really what we're looking for. However, I do like the font "happy" is written in - this could potentially be used should we develop a logo.

Of all my initial designs, I think this one is my favourite. I love the little bird design - meaning this logo could be simplified further for things like albums, merchandise, ID badges, etc. but I also adore how the colours of the words contrast, with happy being shown in bright yellow. However, whether this colour is readable against such a bold black, from a distance, is another question. Although it doesn't really fit with our artist Robyn's colour scheme, it fits in with the theme of youth quite well, and therefore I believe yellow may be an exception to the pastel colour idea. I would perhaps consider resizing or reshaping the text so it sits around the bird more comfortably, but overall, I am really happy with this design.




Comments